We are talking more and more about sustainable and responsible tourism. However, once you’ve said that, you still need to know where to practice it! If you are reading these words, one good thing already knows: you have come to exactly the right place. On the Ethik Hotels website, we refer you to ecological hotels in France and around the world. So as the summer vacation approaches, you must all have already started to rack your brains about where to go to spend a vacation in keeping with your values of respect for the environment. This is why we wanted to produce several articles to present the Ethik Hotels that meet the most eco-responsible criteria.
That’s why I wanted to create several articles to present you the Ethik Hotels that meet the most eco responsible criteria. This is an opportunity for me to introduce you to these establishments that have chosen to play the game of ecology to the full and to move towards sustainable tourism. It’s a coincidence, but this ranking reflects our values: there is something for every budget and every desire.
First stop: France. Let’s go for a tour of the Ethik Hotels where you can spend the most responsible holidays in France. They are listed in alphabetical order, so don’t be jealous!
Don’t panic if you don’t find what you’re looking for in this list, there are now more than 90 Ethik Hotels in France. It is certain that you will be able to find your happiness in other establishments equally committed to making your holidays greener.
- What is an eco-friendly hotel?
- Why go on holiday in France?
- The 15 ecological hotels in FranceEthik Hotels respecting all our 8 criteriaEthik Hotels respecting 7 of our 8 criteria
- Ethik Hotels respecting all our 8 criteria
- Ethik Hotels respecting 7 of our 8 criteria
What is an eco-friendly hotel?
Before going any further, it is important to give you my definition of an eco responsible accommodation. For me, and therefore for Ethik Hotels, it is an establishment that has chosen to put the respect of the environment and the human being at the heart of its concerns. The aim is to control and limit the impact of holidaymakers on the area visited.
In order to identify them, I have chosen to highlight 8 simple eco-responsible criteria, which can be reproduced on a daily basis and are understandable by all. I invite you to discover them in our About page.
Why go on holiday in France?
To begin with, and before I tell you where you can sleep, I will give you my 6 good reasons for spending your next holiday in France:
- The diversity of landscapes. We are lucky to have a very varied country where you can spend your holidays at the sea, in the mountains, in the city, under the coconut trees or in the jungle. In short, everything is possible in France.
- The climate. This allows us to enjoy our beautiful regions in winter as well as in summer without falling into extremes that are difficult to live in and where it can be difficult to acclimatise.
- The language. Our reputation precedes us, so let’s be honest: for the vast majority of us, we are particularly bad at language (yes, I include myself in that, my English is horrible!)
- Rich cultural heritage. France has 45 UNESCO World Heritage sites. If you can imagine that the Mont St Michel or the Château de Versailles are on the list, others are less known. I presented one of these little-known nuggets in this article. Moreover, the history of France is rich so there are also many sites that are not classified but are just as worthy of interest. So one thing is for sure, if you want a cultural holiday, France is the place to be.
- Time of day. In the majority of French destinations (except for Polynesia, New Caledonia and the West Indies), the time difference is non-existent or very small, so there is no jetlag. This means that you can make the most of your long-awaited holiday right from the start.
- Last but not least: the gastronomy. It’s the same for this last point, our reputation is well established: for us the meal is one of the most important moments of the day. By staying in France, we are sure that we will be able to treat our taste buds. We are known all over the world for the quality of our food and our good wines, so we might as well take advantage of it!
The 14 Ecological hotels in France
Ethik Hotels meeting all our 8 criteria
Au 46 (Brittany): This guest house, renovated with heart and taste by Carole and Pierre, opened its doors in June 2020. Thanks to its location you can discover all the treasures of the South Finistère
Casa Sallusti (Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur) : Are you a fan of glamping? Isabelle opens the doors of her farm and her permaculture vegetable garden, all with a view of the bay of Nice. Here you can practice chic and authentic agrotourism.
Le Logis des Fleurs and le Dodécadôme (Rhône Alpes Auvergne): This is a group gîte located halfway between Provence and the Vercors. Numerous courses on well-being are offered here.
Les terres des Baronnies (Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur): If you dream of disconnecting and recharging your batteries in the heart of nature, this is the address for you!
Ethik Hotels meeting 7 of our 8 criteria
Canopée Guyane (French Guiana): Want to discover the region with the greatest biodiversity in France? Head for Guyana and immerse yourself in the heart of the Amazon in carbets: traditional habitat of this region.
La Buissonnière (Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur): This guest house allows you to discover the Luberon. Nestled in the heart of Oppiede Le Vieux, you can immerse yourself in this beautiful region!
La Corne aux Cerfs (Burgundy) : Near the Lake of Setton, the 4 guest rooms of La Corne aux Cerfs offer you a relaxing break in the heart of nature. You will be able to enjoy the numerous activities offered on the lake.
La Maison Zéro (Rhône Alpes Auvergne): Olivia wanted to make her holiday rental a place of initiation to the zero waste approach. Indeed, tips, easily reproducible at home, are available in the house. This is what we call an active holiday!
Le Champ des Possibles (Occitanie): If you want to discover the Gers, we suggest you put your bags down in one of the two gites of Le Champs des Possibles. The perfect opportunity to enjoy the many festivals organised in the area during the summer season.
Le Clos du Barry (Aveyron): These five recently renovated guest rooms are ideally placed to discover the beautiful Aveyron region.
Le Gîte de Grand Lieu (Pays de la Loire): This rural gîte is located on the shores of Lake Grand Lieu, a Natura 2000 area. You can observe no less than 270 species of migratory birds throughout the year.
Le Hameau du sentier des sources (Périgord): It is located in the heart of the Périgord and offers a breathtaking view of the Dordogne. The 13 holiday homes guarantee a responsible family holiday.
Le Perchoir du Quercy (Occitanie): This is a holiday home for 8 people built with logs. The highlights of the house are the panoramic terrace and the Nordic bath.
Un matin dans les bois (Haut de France): The 4 luxurious rooms are located in a completely renovated 17th century building in the middle of a 5 hectare wood. By the way, if you want an unusual night, you can also stay in the tree house!
Don’t forget that you can find more information about each of these Ethik Hotels on the page dedicated to them on our website. Some of them even have a video presentation if you want to know them better.
To conclude, I hope I have given you the desire to spend your next holiday in France in a responsible way. If so, please tell us where you have decided to go? And if it’s not in France, I still want to know. And yes, I am curious!
Finally, remember that to help you organise this long-awaited moment, you can use our guide (in French for the moment) :
Téléchargez notre guide gratuit pour organiser vos prochaines vacances responsables
Next stop: ecological hotels in Europe!